Operations Manager/News Director
Clear Channel Communications, Inc. is the world’s largest radio and outdoor advertising company with leading market positions in each of its two business segments: Media & Entertainment and Outdoor. Clear Channel is also one of the most innovative media players in the market – a leader in the converging media space, having developed best-in-class integrated media offers (e.g. Radio/Web) and having built significant positions in the HD arena.
- Directs all operations relating to running a radio station.
- Supervise Program Director, News Director, Production Director and Staff Announcers in accordance with Clear Channel’s policies and applicable laws.
- Provide operational counsel to station with emphasis on productivity, cost, technology and production capabilities.
- Maintain bridge’ between Programming and Sales goals.
- Hold regular staff meeting, both full and individual, keeping staff informed of station directions and procedures.
- Maintain current knowledge of trends in research, music and imaging.
- Monitor market competition.
- Protect station from any FCC infringements of on-air conduct.
- Assure atmosphere of creativity and openness.
- Responsible for training, scheduling and supervision of board operators, including but not limited to education on all FCC rules impacting on-air operation.
- Adhere to all guidelines, policies and procedures of the station, Clear Channel Communications, the FCC and all other federal, state and local laws.
- Supervise the day-to-day functioning of the News Department to ensure compliance with established corporate policies.
- Hire, train and coach news department on-air talent. Supervise and delegate reporter assignments, data wire product, analysis, selection and productions of regularly scheduled news programming.
- Compile and edit news information and public service announcements for the stations; select and produce special newsworthy programming; coordinate production of newscasts and daily news feeds.
- Responsible for the planning, preparation, and delivery of all news, news features and public service programming.
- Attend department head and programming meetings when scheduled.
- Attend local news events and press conferences that are of interest to the station’s target audience.
- Collaborate with Programming and Sales Departments in the scheduling of news programming and advertising related to news programming.
- Ascertainment of the direction of future public affairs programming to ensure they address the need and concerns of the community.
- Maintain News Department budget.
- College degree in Journalism/Broadcasting/Communication or equivalent experience.
- Minimum five years radio/television experience with at least two years in broadcast news.
- Ability to work under stress and short deadlines.
- One to two years supervisory experience.
- Ability to scan newswire/network satellite feeds for stories, as well as local newspapers for news leads and stories.
- Knowledge of all FCC rules and regulations.
- Minimum of five years consecutive on-air AOR format experience and 5 years of consecutive AOR format programming experience.
- Excellent time management and leadership skills.
- Extensive computer skills including but not limited to working knowledge of Word and Excel.
Clear Channel is an equal opportunity employer and will not tolerate discrimination in employment on the basis of race, color, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, disability, ethnicity, national origin, marital status, veteran status, genetic information, or any other legally protected classification or status.
OGALLALA, Nebraska, United States