State of Nebraska Mental Health Security Specialist II in Norfolk, Nebraska
Mental Health Security Specialist II
PERM FULL-TIME, PERM PART-TIME, TEMPORARY ON-CALL
Health & Human Services Department
Do you want to make a difference in someone's life? The Department of Health and Human Services, Behavioral Health Division, is hiring for Mental Health Security Specialist II's at the Norfolk Regional Center. Come join our team and help someone rebuild their life one step at a time! Permanent full-time and part-time as well as Temporary full-time and on-call positions available.
Actual days and hours are to be determined. This is a 24/7 facility. Will include days, evenings, weekends, and holidays.
Examples of Work
In this position a successful candidate will be responsible for the following:
• Monitor and observe patients on the living unit from an observation table and by making rounds.
• Monitor and supervise patients to various off unit activities, such as occupational and recreational therapy, library, medical and dental clinic, AA/NA and outdoor courtyard.
• Take leadership role in facilitating group therapy sessions conducted by paraprofessional staff.
• Accompany patients to therapeutic activities and record information given by presenters and patient response.
• Conduct Therapeutic 1 to 1 sessions with patients for review of treatment goals. Give feedback to patients based on expected baseline behaviors.
• Take vital signs (temperature, pulse and blood pressure) and assist patient with personal hygiene as necessary.
• Perform lead role under supervision of a Registered Nurse in utilizing Mandt techniques to address aggressive or violent patient behavior by verbally de-escalating aggressive or extremely angry patients; and by providing physical intervention to restrain hostile, aggressive or threatening patients when necessary.
• Complete various documentation forms and reports and daily medical record charting.
Qualifications / Requirements
REQUIREMENTS: Be at least 19 years of age to work with adult client populations; be at least 21 years of age to work with adolescent client populations.
PREFERRED: Valid driver's license.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Knowledge of: Security measures that are required for safe patient care. Techniques of caring for physically and/or mentally ill patients. Principles and methods for instructing individuals and groups. Skill in: Listening, verbal deescalation, understanding, clear and effective communication. Leading by example. Provide detailed and accurate reports in a timely manner. Ability to: Interpret instructions, prepare detailed reports, carry out nursing procedures as prescribed. Communicate with co-workers. Lift, push, pull or bend to assist clients in meeting their needs.